Thursday, October 18, 2012

Day 18...smile...

The first time I ever heard the song smile was in the movie My Girl 2. It was one of those songs that for some reason I immediately fell in love with. The music was actually written by Charlie Chaplin in his 1936 movie, Modern Times (fast forward to 1:25:00 to hear the song). I've heard many different versions of this song done by some incredible musical artists, but to this day, the one below is my favorite. I just feel like the emotion portrayed  is so spot on to the lyrics.

(The song comes at about 1:35, unless you want to reminisce part of your childhood...then watch all 3 minutes and 20 seconds. =)

Tonight I got to see a couple of my favorite people, each of whom had a smile for me and it got me thinking about how much a smile can really affect someone, and how it can be an unspoken communication between two people. Tonight there were many different smiles...nervous, happy, anxious, excited, mischievous, welcoming, exhausted, comforting,  and smiles from just plain ol' happiness. It also amazes me how a smile from that special someone can turn a crappy day right-side up again, or make anger and frustration simply melt away. There's comfort in the smile of someone that you care about. 

But isn't there comfort in the smile of a stranger sometimes as well? Have you ever been in a situation where a stranger has just done something nice completely out of the blue, they've smiled and you, and then went on their merry way. If you've never had this happen to you, or never done something like this I highly recommend it. Do something just because...not because you're going to get anything out of it, and the smile you get from the recipient will be one of the most genuine and beautiful smiles you'll ever see.


I love this saying. Often times we meet the most unexpected people in the most unexpected places. I can think of several of my best friends that I met merely by happenstance. What if I were to have met them at a time where I was upset or angry instead of laughing and smiling? Life is too short. Gotta laugh hard, live fully, and love much. 

Because sometimes after a rough day...a smile is all you need.

Smile, though your heart is aching
Smile, even though it's breaking
When there are clouds in the sky
You'll get by...
If you smile through your fears and sorrow
Smile and maybe tomorrow
You'll see the sun come shining through
If you...
Light up your face with gladness
Hide every trace of sadness
Although a tear may be ever so near
That's the time you must keep on trying
Smile, what's the use of crying
You'll find that life is still worthwhile
If you just
Smile.

No comments:

Post a Comment