Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Lost...and found.

One of the most frustrating things is losing things. One of the greatest things is finding them. Last night I spent almost four hours looking for my checkbook. I can't tell you how many times I went through my car, living room, desk, bookshelves, kitchen (I was getting desperate), bedroom, etc. I even went through my closet and storage facility! And it was after I had just gone through everything on under my bed that I thought to myself...you know I'm missing my glasses too. Where was the last place I had those? Answer:black purse. Next question? Where is the black purse. (I should also mention I had already emptied and gone through every other purse that I own at least twice by this point.) I'm staring at a totally clean apartment and now I have to find the black purse. Fortunately it only took me 3 minutes or so to figure out that the black purse was hanging up on my clothes rack right in front of me. Inside? Checkbook and glasses. Sigh.

Funny thing is that when I started writing this post I was going to rant about how frustrating it is to lost something and how irritated I get when I set down something (usually my keys) only to come back 2 minutes later and have NO idea where I put them and how it just makes for the start of a bad day. (Dear former English teachers, how'd ya like that run-on sentence?) But then I thought, you know, whenever something bad happens, there's usually something good that follows. Bad=lost checkbook, Good=found checkbook, no need to get a cashiers check, or drive to Jefferson to my bank, sense of relief, slept better last night. But isn't that how it is for most things? There's always some good to be found in the bad, even if it's just learning not to make that mistake again. Don't get me wrong...I'm not little Penelope Positive all the time over here. I have my bad days where the world is against me just like everyone else. But once there's a little separation from what is bad and frustrating...there is almost always something to take away. What's lost doesn't always remain lost (unless we are discussing the case of the magical disappearing apartment and mailbox key from a couple weeks ago...they still remain lost). What's bad isn't always all bad. Look for the good, it's there...

Lost and Found--Katie Herzig

No comments:

Post a Comment