Thursday, February 7, 2013

the one with the rant...

Dear readers...please forgive me for the rant I'm about to go on.

I was just reading through my Facebook newfeeds when saw this picture--->>
Let me say this first. I have the utmost respect for moms and the job that they do. I saw my mom as a working mom and also as a stay at home mom. I helped with my lil sister who is 10 years my younger. So I've done the late nights, the pooping catastrophes, the puking catastrophes, and a host of other things that moms deal with on a day to day basis. They are awesome hard-working individuals that have one of the noblest of jobs.

Before I begin the ranting portion of this post, I want to say that I've content in my life. Do I have things to improve upon? Yes. Do I have opportunities that I hope to have in the future that I don't currently have? Yes. But there are some days where I get frustrated. In the world I come from being 29 means you've gone to college, met someone, gotten engaged, gotten married, and have at least one, if not two kids by this point. In my circle of friends from college, I think that I'm the only single one left, and almost everyone got married immediately out of college. And a lot of times, I feel left behind. I feel un-included in activities because people feel that I'm going to feel awkward hanging out with a bunch of couples. When in reality, the hurt of not being included usually vastly outweighs the awkwardness of a bunch of couples talking about this that and whatnot. 

Don't get me wrong, I have a great group of friends that I've met since college. Single. Married. Mothers. Fathers. Brothers. Sisters. Cousins. Gay. Straight. Black. Brown. White. Athletes. Musicians. Dancers. Sports Enthusiasts. Best friends. Girlfriends. Manfriends. Etc. I'm seriously in love with my crazy diverse group of friends that I've somehow managed to collect since moving to Milwaukee. 

All that being said...

I wish more people would understand that we all have our daily struggles, no matter who we are. (This would be the ranting portion of the blog...you've been warned...) One of the most frustrating things I hear from people is "It must be so nice to be single, you have all that time to yourself!" Sigh. Yes, time to myself to do all the cooking, all the dishes, all the grocery shopping, all the laundry, all the vacuuming, all the dusting, all the ironing, all the toilet plunging, all the soap scum scrubbing, all the scheduling, all the budgeting, all the errands, all the bills. On the nights where you hear the freaky noises coming from outside in the middle of the night you have to ask yourself how mad your friend is really going to be if you call them at 2 o'clock in the morning when you're freaking out. That when you take a vacation it's because you've worked your ass off at work, hoarding your minimal vacation time, and when you get to the beach in Florida, you're still returning emails to your boss and putting out fires with your customers. That sick days aren't fun to begin with, but they're even less fun when there's no one there to help you get to the couch, or change the Friends DVD when you finish a season, or run to the store for Gatorade and Sprite. (Thank you to the wonderful people in my life that have done this for me in the past.) That some days you wish you could come home and somehow your dishes might have magically gotten clean while you were at work because if you don't do them, they will just grow crusty layer after crusty layer.
And then there are what I call the "Single Slap Statements."
- So why are you single?
I'm single because I want to be with someone that is a good fit for me, and I for him. And because so many (not all, but some) married people I know complain about not having any passion in their relationship, never going out on dates, lack of a sex life, argue in front of me all the time, make their kids the only thing they have in common, or got married because "well, it was either that or break up." To those of you couples that march to the beat of your own drum, make time for each other in the midst of life's craziness, make life about living and not just getting through the day and support me in the decisions that I make (despite being single...)...I applaud and thank you. You give me hope.
- Have you ever tried online dating?
Yes. Been there done that. How comfortable are you with floating personal information out to strangers? That's what I thought.
- Don't worry, the timing just isn't right.
Thank you for the reassurance. But the timing for my life is just right. Just because a man isn't involved doesn't mean that my life isn't going the way it should be going.
- You should try going to the grocery store. I hear lots of people meet there.
The last time I went to the grocery store in search of a man I ran into a tranny. Seriously. Now...any spiciness that I'm looking for at the grocery store comes from the peppers.
- Have you tried a Brewers game? Or singles night at the ballpark?
I went to 27 Brewers games last year.
- Being a mom after 30...well it just gets riskier.
30 is terrifying enough. I know I'm getting older. No reminders necessary.
- I totally understand...my husband was out of town for three days last week.
While I can appreciate that being without someone there who is normally there...three days is very different than everyday.

SO. People. We all have our struggles. We all have different lives. Let's stop disrespecting other people's lives just because they are different from our own and appreciate and embrace our diversity and celebrate it. How boring would life be if we were all the same?

Ok. Rant over. Happy Wednesday. No more ranting tomorrow. Be happy. 

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment